This is an officially silly post that will only be of interest to those who, like me, were completely obsessed with Final Fantasy IV back in the early 90s. (Give me a break, I was twelve years old.)
Those who have played the game will recall that the primary villian is the mysterious Golbez. Near the end of the game, Golbez has a change of heart and decides to fight against a greater evil. At one point, he is shown fighting the enemy as if he was one of the playable characters, even though the player never has any control over him. I remember thinking how neat it would be if Golbez actually joined the team. This hack-in-progress is my fan-boyish attempt to realize that dream.
Here is a quick overview of the changes that were made to the original game:
- The worst grammatical howlers are fixed.
- Many spell and item names are updated.
- Rydia's item-based summon spells are much easier to obtain.
- Rydia's Cockatrice summon is restored.
- Rosa's Protect, Shell, and Dispel spells are restored.
- Edward rejoins the team at one point.
- Cid is with the party for a much longer time.
- There is new equipment for Edward and Cid.
- Axe-type weapons were removed in favor of other, new items.
Here are specs on the new Golbez character:
- Golbez replaces Edge. Edge remains a significant character.
- Golbez joins at Level 50 with all Black Magic spells already learned.
- His special ability is Dark Wave, as used by Dark Knight Cecil.
- Golbez cannot use Dark Knight Cecil's equipment.
- He comes equipped with Genji armors plus a new weapon.
- Many new items for Golbez are found within the Lunar Subterrane.
Here are some screen captures from the hack:
Link Added 11/27/11:
Link Added 11/23/11:
Progress Update #4
Link added 11/13/2011:
Progress Update #3 (Video)
Link added 10/30/2011:
Progress Update #2
Link added 10/16/2011:
Progress Update #1